Be alert to signs of flooding and be ready to evacuate at a moment's notice.
- Know the difference between a flash flood watch and warning:
- A flash flood WATCH means flooding is possible in your area. Be alert to signs of flooding and be ready to evacuate on a moment's notice.
- A flash flood WARNING means a flood is already occurring or will occur very soon in your area. Move to higher ground away from rivers, streams, creeks and storm drains. Residents in low-lying areas near streams and rivers should evacuate immediately - you might only have a few minutes to escape.
- Do not drive across water-covered roads. Turn around and find another route.
- If your car stalls in rapidly rising waters, abandon it immediately and climb to higher ground.